Tuesday, May 10, 2011

highlights and lowlights - day 5

Life in the bubble. We're a real hit up here on 7 east. Samson loves to take trips up and down the elevator. We do this just about 30 times a day. Sam announces our arrival and departure to the nurses station every time. We try to take trips to fun places in the hospital to keep things interesting.

I'll start with lowlights since there are few today.
- Sputum. Suction. (need I say more? probably. Sam doesn't yet know how to hock [sp?] a luggy [sp?]. So they can't get the sputum sample they need to find out what's bothering him without doing it the hard way. It involves suction, a tube, and a crying Sam. He took his lumps, and it went fast. They have their sample. I hope it helps.)

- Sam took an hour+ nap at 5pm today. So he's still up being obnoxious right now. And he's cracked out on lemonade. There is almost a lack of day and night here. I need some crack!

- Sam is missing home, and so am I.

Ozzie and Mommy had a play-date with Stella McLoughlin. Rollercoaster! (this is also a "highlight", of course! Bubby!)

Highlights. I have more visual aids for this.
- Breakfast in the cafeteria. We see the huge yellow airplane take off from the clock tower on the cafeteria ceiling at 10am, and sometimes at dinner at 7pm. (if you have to ask, you'll never know) Today we saw it both times. That's a big deal, apparently.
Bacon! (need I say more? no.)


- We got to play with Katybelle in the playroom today (and a STLCH volunteer). We keep running into her and her parents. She is the same age as Sam. They played "Hot Hoops" together. Fun game...!

- Another fun game: Checkers. With Woody-pez-dispenser. Sam kicked daddy's butt in checkers today, eating Pez and drinking juice for the duration. It was our first full game! He had two kings by the end of the game. Fast learner, that one. Tomorrow a rematch?

- Rooftop garden made for some fun times. Lots of running around being silly. Big blue egg!


- The Best Nana Ever came through with a "gang" of Imo's pizza for us to mow. Notice who is eating in this picture: not Sam. Too busy, and cracked out, from said nap. And he's still up, and being a weirdo. (it's 10:04p) But the pizza was freaking awesome. And there's leftovers! Thanks Nana! 

- We had a nice evening with Nana, then she left and we did our 8pm therapy. We took a walk in the gaden upstairs after dark. It's just as beautiful up there at night as it is in the day. Some pics:




This is a view of Forest Park, looking west over Kingshighway, from the garden.

- Sam and I love this fountain. Many a penny are thrown into the fountains up here. Sam tells me he wishes to "take a walk on the stones" or "walk over the bridge". I wish life were that simple. 

Here's to sputum and the bacteria it grows. The future lies in that violent luggy (sp?). 

-b.

7 comments:

  1. that last picture is ridiculous. keep up the good work, babe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are thinking of you guys! Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you and hoping you'll soon be back home. Sam is awesome... your whole family is ..

    Thank you for blogging about your experience.
    Sending prayers...good karma...positive energy...all that... your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwwww. I am in tears right now. THANK YOU for creating this blog! We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brad, I love you so much. Thank you for taking such great care of my Sam-man and for keeping us updated with the blog. Being a nurse... it is killing me to not be able to be there. But I know Sam is in excellent hands, yours and the nurses there.

    Tell Sam I love him SO much it's silly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the correct spelling is 'loogy' - my medical background has taught me this much... ;) Fingers crossed for promising culture results on Sam's loogy producing efforts! (love your bloggin style! - keep it comin!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being the proverbial worry-wart, guilty-feeling female that I am, I want you to know how much I appreciate your blog - almost makes me feel like I'm there going thru hell with you. On the brighter side, if I am worrying and fretting profusly, you don't have to do as much. ♥ U guys. Peace and long life.

    ReplyDelete